The coronavirus pandemic has severely and widely disrupted the working of millions of organizations and has forced them to adopt a remote work model. Many others had to lay off employees or reduce working hours to keep their businesses afloat. Switching to a remote work model may have been difficult initially, but organizations are coming to realize that it is actually advantageous for them in many respects. For example, companies allowing remote work make an average profit of $2000 per remote worker. It also improves employee retention and expands the potential for finding talent globally.
Today, 16% of all companies worldwide are fully remote, and the number is likely to increase further with the pandemic. Moreover, firms are also noticing that the majority of their workforce's productivity shoots up while working from home with fewer distractions at play.
According to Upwork, 73% of company departments are slated to have remote workers. If you are considering working remotely or in the process of making a shift towards a work-from-home model, here is a list of a few fully remote companies that are excelling at virtual work.
- CallHippo: CallHippo is a cloud-based virtual phone system built for enterprises and businesses all over the globe. This VoIP service provider has adapted to a 100% remote work model since the pandemic. With all its personnel working remotely, CallHippo has managed to bring down operating costs drastically.
- Automattic: Automattic has created countless applications that have made the internet a better place. Having created applications and utilities such as WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr, this remote organization has employees from over 80 countries. The company aims to democratize publishing so that people from the world over can share their experiences.
- Clevertech: This remote working organization offers a range of services to simplify product launches which includes Blockchain enterprise solutions, iOS & Android apps, e-commerce solutions, web applications, and more. With over two decades of experience under its belt, the organization has worked with major players in various domains.
- Collage.com: Employees at Collage.com have been working remotely since the wake of the pandemic. The company has been offering personalized products and customized design solutions to its clients remotely. Its products range from custom photo prints, pillowcases, canvas prints, photo books, photo prints, and much more.
- Evolving Wisdom: This online education and learning platform has helped thousands of individuals learn new skills during the pandemic. It brings together students and teachers from across the world to simplify the learning experience through online classes, advanced training lessons, and live. Like many remote companies offering online education, Evolving Wisdom has made the most of its distance learning model during the pandemic and helped countless individuals acquire new skills.
Mentorship is an effective way to build strong cultures that encourage employee growth and development.
- GitLab: GitLab is a SaaS-based open-source platform that offers a Git-repository manager for issue-tracking, wikis, continuous integration, and pipeline deployment features. Over 1280 employees work remotely on GitLab's projects that enable professionals to perform tasks like source code management, project planning, project monitoring & security analysis.
- InVision: InVision is a platform for designers to collaborate. This prototyping and workflow tool is created specifically to help designers get clarity and control over the designing process. It empowers designers and helps create interactive mockups for designs and wireframes. By making InVision easy to learn, their remote team has helped thousands of designers create stellar prototypes from scratch.
- LoveToKnow Media: LoveToKnow Media is a media hous in the US that receives 30 million visitors a month. The company works with the best talent around the globe and has various remote teams working simultaneously. For example, it has a Product Development team based in Barcelona, Spain, while its telecommunication teams work from North America and India. Its employees collaborate daily to address customer concerns, but many employees have also become long-distance friends working on a common goal.
- MomsRising: This non-profit organization came into existence to address the many issues faced by women in modern times. This multicultural political institution advocates for economic and familial stability and advocates issues like flexible work schedules, eradication of discrimination in hiring, healthcare for children, maternity & paternity leaves, fair wages, environmental health, and affordable child care.
- SimpleA: This organization offers content marketing and management services to its global clientele while working remotely. Its services include content technology training, .NET development, and platform evaluation and selection for marketing purposes. The company partners with global enterprises to orchestrate a content intelligence system that unifies processes, people, and technology.
Virtually every company had to go remote or hybrid in some fashion during the pandemic. As companies choose to continue working remotely the challenge of onboarding new employees becomes apparent. Learning company culture, meeting the team, adjusting to a new role - these are all made more challenging while onboarding remote employees. For that reason, learn the best ways to onboard remote employees.
- Time Doctor: Time Doctor is one of the largest providers of time-tracking and productivity management software. It is specially designed to help remote companies improve the productivity of their teams and reduce distractions. Since the entire workforce of Time Doctor works remotely, they have a better understanding of the challenges most distributed workforces experience. This allows them to anticipate unforeseen challenges and create solutions that make remote collaboration easy and breezy.
- Toggl: One of the most popular companies on this list, Toggl is used as a time-tracking tool that analyses and monitors employee productivity. Founded in 2006, Toggl offers online reporting and time-tracking through both desktop and mobile applications. Users can track their daily activities across platforms and receive detailed insights to optimize their workflow through continuous improvements.
- Upworthy: Upworthy was launched in 2012 to provide positive storytelling and entertainment via videos, infographics, and other content. Upworthy's mission is to change what the world's people pay attention to, and it has been very successful working remotely.
- X-Team: This exceptional remote community of developers offers innovations to the world's leading brands. They provide intelligent business automation solutions that simplify operations and provide better control over processes through technology.
- Modern Tribe: This digital agency creates custom websites and applications to empower platforms and people. They help design custom applications, plugins, and robust publishing platforms remotely for their ten million-plus users.
The above companies give us hope and proof that remote work is indeed possible and will probably be the future of work in the majority of domains. Thus daily commutes, fixed hours, and typical brick & mortar office spaces will soon be a thing of the past, benefitting both employers and employees.